Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
Saturday, September 18, 2010
What A Champ
The other day was Bobby's 1-year check-up. A friend of mine has a son a month older than Bobby and told us that in addition to the shots they also have to draw blood -- yikes! I was not looking forward to that. :(
We had a nice and chill morning, which did not include Parent & Tot Craft Hour like I planned. Oh well... we'll try again next week. He has been in great spirits lately, which is always so lovely after "teething seasons." He's enjoying being able to run around our halls and the elevator, and loves riding in taxis! We walked from the main gate to the hospital on base, (maybe a mile or so??? Probably less... I dunno, but I'll track it next time I go, lol), and he was so well-behaved in his small stroller; usually he tries to squirm out and twist around to see me. In the waiting room he was awesome and had fun making me walk all around and pick up the phones for him to talk into, haha! I wonder who he's calling in his mind.
The check-up itself started off well. He got to sit in my lap for most of it, but as soon as he had to get on the table he was NOT happy! Putting his diaper back on was no fun anyone, including the doctor who tried to help, lol! To make matters even less fun... the fire alarm went off! They were having a fire drill!! So I had to hurry and throw his onesie on and grab his stuff to get out quick with everyone else, while this poor boy is wondering what all the action and painfully loud noises are about. A nice man came and took the stroller for me without even having to ask, which was really really nice! We all went outside and waited in the parking lot for about 5 mins or so. There was a girl who had that blue plastic and wires around her mouth you have when they're doing braces... POOR THING!!
So once we were free to go back in, the nice man came back and pushed the stroller to immunizations and told us where the laboratory was to have his blood drawn. The shots were not fun... at all! He had to have 5, and apparently we still have to go back for one more next week! I will say that the technicians were VERY fast and not all up in his face. He screamed and cried soo hard, I thought he was going to burst a blood vessel in his eyes... it was horrible. :( So we sat in the waiting room with a BaBa and calmed down for a bit before going to the lab.
I was NOT impressed with the guys they have in there; too clinical and cold for my taste. Not fun, not friendly, not anything! Boo. Well, I sat down with Bobby in my lap and tried to distract him while they tied up his arm with a rubber band (which obviously hurt! Meanies!!), and then tried to soothe him while they stuck the needle in and drew blood for about 30 seconds. Oh I felt so bad for Bobby. He was crying, but not fighting and squirming around... my poor baby! They put the gauze and band-aid on which was even more upsetting to Bobby. He kept looking at it with a confused scowl and pointing at it. Once we got to the car (which dad left in the parking lot for me, thanks dad!!) I took the band-aid off, kissed him all better and gave him some yummy rice milk. He was already starting to calm down.
We then drove right down the road to the BX to go have lunch and kill time until the family got off work. I decided to treat him to a chocolate milkshake (which he loves to share with Papa), and he was super happy about that! This time we had the big stroller and he did so well. Didn't try to climb out, didn't cry... he was wonderful. Not at all like I expected him to be after all that drama! We shared food and played and laughed and loved on each other. I love our little dates.
We met the family at work when school was over and all the boys went home together so Mama and I could go grab a drink and chill out for a bit. Always nice!! This evening Bobby has a low fever and is clearly uncomfortable but STILL in a good mood! We spent the past few hours sitting in the rocking chair just cuddled up, sharing drinks and bites of munchies and doing Eskimo and Butterfly kisses. Bliss!!
Grandma put him to sleep and now he's laying in bed next to me while I enjoy some quiet time. For such a crazy day, and despite all the lameness, today was nice! I hope he fells better tomorrow. Aint nothing like a happy, healthy Bobby!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment